Skip to main content

Building Drawing Terminology

On building repair, retrofit or upgrade projects there are sometimes instances when as-is existing conditions drawings of a building that will be worked upon are called for. For example, let's consider a hypothetical project that is a one story addition onto a ten story building, in which no plans exist for the building. Since no plans exist, then drawings that depict the as-is existing conditions of the structure would need to be created.

However, conversations over such drawings could get confusing, and so in this article I'll discuss why, and I'll also offer a solution on how to keep oral communication clear. Furthermore, I'll approach this topic from a day-to-day casual business conversation perspective, and not from a legal business contract perspective, becauase I don't know law. With this said, let me now attend to the subject at hand.

In my years of experience inside the AEC industry there have been three main terms that I've heard used when referring to drawings like the ones required for the hypothetical project, and they are: as built drawings, building survey drawings and existing condition drawings. And in similar situations, to a lesser degree I've also heard the additional terms: architectural survey, as built conditions, as built plans, as built survey, measured drawings, measured survey, record drawings, space survey, site survey, construction survey, existing conditions documentation, existing conditions survey, and a few others too. Due to the number of terms one could choose from, a conversation over such drawings could get confusing.

With terms galore, the question of, "Which term should one use to be understood by his AEC industry peers?" is left looming. Help in answering this question can be found in the June 2007 AIA Best Practices document titled "Terminology: As-Built Drawings, Record Drawings, Measured Drawings". In this document three terms are defined as follows:

"As-built drawings: As-built drawings are prepared by the contractor. They show, in red ink, on-site changes to the original construction documents."

"Measured drawings: Measured drawings are prepared in the process of measuring a building for future renovation or as historic documentation. They are created from on-site measurements."

"Record drawings: Record drawings are prepared by the architect and reflect on-site changes the contractor noted in the as-built drawings. They are often compiled as a set of on-site changes made for the owner per the owner-architect contract."

From a legal business contract perspective it seems to me that the term "measured drawings" perhaps best fits the hypothetical project drawings described. However, in day-to-day casual business conversation I've not heard or used this term often. This is likely because a specific person will choose to use one of the aforementioned plethora of terms based on what he is accustomed to. Probably because of what the people within his professional peer group most often use.

For instance, when I've spoken with New York Architects about creating as-is existing conditions drawings for them in instances similar to the hypothetical project scenario, I've most often heard them use the terms "building survey" or "as built drawings", and hence I've used the same. What these terms have meant to them and I was: "The process of one visiting a building in order to take measurements of it, and then subsequently creating computer drawings of it from the information that was collected in the field." You can see that technically speaking the term "as built" has been used incorrectly, but nevertheless that's how I've heard most people talk.

This is interesting, isn't it? Therefore, I'd say that the best way to handle a casual business conversation about as-is existing conditions drawings would be for one to attach a definition to his term of choice. I've done this and it has resulted in a clear understanding of the type of drawings that I was referring to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Tips For Launching Your Real Estate Investing Career

1. Desire 2. Goal Setting 3. Learning What To Do 4. Attending a Real Estate Investing Seminar 5. The Billings Montana Market 6. Finding a Mentor 7. Your Real Estate Team 8. Just Do IT 1. Desire Before we get in to the bolts and nails of real estate investing in I want to talk to you about desire. If you are going to be successful at anything in life including real estate investing you have to have the desire to do it. Desire is defined as longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment. Desire stresses the strength of feeling and often implies strong intention or aim. In real estate investing if you don't have a desire to learn and grow as a human being and really get satisfaction out of it, then real estate investing is going to be hard to do. When I go out and look at a property it brings me a lot of enjoyment. Every aspect brings me joy from talking to home owners, figuring out how I can make a deal work, to buying the house and to finding a good hom...

Growing Real Estate Fraud

An article in Forbes talked about a report released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation this week stating that real estate fraud cases were on the rise. They said reports of suspicious mortgage filings increased 36% during fiscal 2008 compared with 46,700 filings the year before, and that 2/3rds of all pending FBI mortgage fraud investigations last year involved more than $1 million at a clip, putting a rough estimate of the total at $1 billion. It's easy to understand why people would try to exploit a bad economy to help themselves, since that's what criminals do, but it's scary to see just how pervasive it is. Just this week, there were four instances in four different states confirming what the FBI stated. In North Carolina, banking regulators fined mortgage lender North American Real Estate Services Inc. $320,000 and revoked its state operating license after ruling the firm used shell companies and fictitious names to avoid state regulation. They also ordered the com...

Reasons to Survey your land

Although a land survey may seem tedious and unnecessary, in fact there are many cases in which you should have your land surveyed, to save confusion or legal troubles later. If you have two surveys done, they will nearly always have slight differences, because land surveying is as much an art as a science. Measurements are always subject to error. In land surveying, these measurements are often taken from landmarks such as fence posts; in two separate surveys, the same landmarks may not be available, or may have shifted. A land surveyor will research the documents available about your land, including titles and previous surveys. Then, they will physically measure the property, and check these dimensions against the previous records to find any discrepancies. Land surveyors can also use electronic equipment, GPS positioning, or other devices to determine the boundaries of your property. You should always consider a new land survey if you are buying a piece of real estate. Even though ma...